How to find accommodation in France for international student

August 21, 2017

The struggle is real!!! You are a student that is accepted to the French university. You have your acceptance letter but it is already too late for you to apply for the student residence or you want to mingle with the French people and start colocation. Maybe you are more independent and you want to rent a flat. You don't have a garant, you don't have a French account, you are not in France at the moment... What to do???

Here are my tips how to get the accommodation in France when you are international student in France



After I made the decision that YES! I'm moving to France I had to find somewhere to live. It was already too late for me to apply for the residence universitaire. The deadline was in May... And in my case it was already July. (If you are desperate to get a room in the hall of residence, keep contacting directly the residence of your  choice. In September often you can get a vacancy). Finding a place to live is a challenge! These are the option that I tried.



Search for Erasmus *your city* Student Groups, Location apartment *your city*, or ask your compatriots who live in the city, in my case Polacy w *your city*


The christian accomodation. The price is good, the localization is good, and sometimes they offer meals! You have to write a motivation letter that you want to connect developing faith and studies. Make sure that you read the rules before signing contract. Sometimes they forbid the entrance of your friends, or they have to pay for staying overnight.


On the website you can find people that are looking for a roommate or want to rent their own apartment without agency. When you find a room that you like, you call the person. You can ask your questions, take a meeting to see the apartment... Here is the trick... You send e-mails but without response (Often the landlord will never receive your message because of the le bon coin's server). You try to call... You have a foreign phone number. It is very possible that the French person will not pick up the phone. You have to be lucky and patient.



I logged in, I was ready to start my hunt. It turned out that I have to pay for verification. Sorry I'm not paying any Euros, the website is not for me!


La carte de colocs is a very good tool to find a colocation. You have a map, you can see straight away the localization. When you click on the apartment you like, you can see price and a picture of the owner. You can contact via e-mail, talk a little and then have a meeting on Skype.
In my case, I was sending e-mails, every time in French. I rarely got a response. I'm going to a small city so there is not so many offers. I only got the answer when I didn't write in my message that I come from Poland. Later when I mentioned it, I got the answer that the apartment is already taken... 


After many phone calls, sent e-mails, weeks of trying my friend advised  me to try airbnb.com. I've already used it for a short time stays. I didn't think about it to look for a flat for all semester. But I was already desperate and I gave it a go. I've sent messages to owners that I'm interested. And finally I started getting responses!! That is how I found my accommodation! 



Finding apartment in France can be cdifficult. It will definitely take you some time. Especially when you are a student and you budget is tight. Landlords prefer to meet you in person before signing a contract. Try all available options and don't give up!

Do you find it helpful? Let me know how did you find your accommodation

Bonne chance!

*

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this I would love to visit one day
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete

https://www.instagram.com/danusis/